Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dr. Gottheil, Where's Your Petition?

In reply to this post, which tells the story of a right wing professor who saw a petition condemning some of the practices of the Israeli government, and that it was signed by over 900 academics--including a few from his own college--and wrote up a similar petition expressing concern about human rights violations in the Muslim Middle East, such as honor killing, wife-beating, female genital mutilation, and violence against gays and lesbians, just to see whether these same academics would also sign his... According to the story--as told at FrontPage Magazine, and echoed throughout the more reactionary reaches of the wingnutosphere, all of which should raise a degree of suspicion in the reader, given the sources--very few did...

Unfortunately, verification for any of it is hard to come by... From what I can tell, neither petition or list of signatures is available for the public to read and evaluate for themselves... You're just supposed to believe the story as written, no questions asked...

Anyway, here is my reply (submitted to the blog at the first link, above. I will also ask Dr Gottheil directly, should American Thinker approve my registration so I can post this comment to his post.):
---

Is Dr. Gottheil's original petition (with or without signatures) available for public viewing? I mean, it's a pretty important part of the story, but it doesn't seem to be published anywhere... All we have are thumbnail descriptions of what it says and the kind of people who did/did not sign it.

Before I condemn or praise anyone for their actions as concerns a given petition, I'd want to actually read the petition, so I can see for myself what they are or are not supporting... YMMV...

Though I'm not an academic, I oppose poor treatment of people regardless of who is perpetrating it. Assuming the petitions actually were as described, I likely would've signed both of 'em... I'd be curious to hear from the non-signing academics themselves why they chose not to sign the latter petition... ...but that requires actually finding and reading Dr. Gottheil's petition... Let's hope it becomes available...
---

Others asking the same questions:
I have two issues with Dr. Gottheil's conclusion. | FrontPage Magazine

Since you don't feel the need to provide or link to either your "Statement of Concern" or the Lloyd’s original petition, I can't see giving any of this any credence. - FrontPage Magazine
---

Also, Dr. Gottheil's Statement of Concern is now posted at PetitionsOnline.com, and is accepting signatures from anyone willing to speak out against human rights abuses in the Middle East. As you're obviously interested in the story, I urge you to step up and sign it: Support Regarding Discrimination in the Middle East against Women, Gays, and Lesbians Petition

No comments: